A while back I took the MBTI personality test – it came up with the result that I am an INTP. INTP: Introverted, Intuitive, Thinking Perceiving.
This is basically that dude who sits around by himself and thinks shit up. Tending to be analytical and thoughtful, reserved & quiet and often has difficulty with people.
At the time I thought this personality type fit me but in the last few weeks I’ve been doubting. I went away for a quiet week in the mountains thinking that I was gonna love being alone with my thoughts to work on stuff but I quickly found myself bored stiff, completely useless in work/planning, and craving (and I mean craving) to be around people.
But…yeah…I’m not that anymore. I don’t think that I’ve changed so much as I got it wrong a couple years ago. I remember now that when I did this first MBTI test I was just laid off and was in a generally stressful and freaked out situation. I was unemployed, in debt, and had a new child recently born. I guess…under stress, I have a tendency to withdraw and hate people just a little bit.
Not a huge shock for those who know me… in fact, I kinda fit the profile to a tee:
- I have a lively circle of friends (more acquaintances most)
- I’m constantly thinking of new ways to do things..but have trouble actually completing anything
- Despite my protestations to the fact…I love being the centre of attention
- I’m a non-conformist with a quick, dirty sense of humour
- I tend to bond quickly and deeply…than move on
- And I still get to dislike “touchy feely” stuff and keep my thinking inside.
- Oh yeah…I lead with my gut than tend to find facts that support my gut.
Pretty good summary of who I am. Creepy…but accurate. Now…what to do with this new found perspective !?!